Re: burning cd question

Matt Garman wrote:
I'm backing up some data for a friend with my CD burner.  Every burn
I've done has been under Linux, and gone to perfection except in one
respect: the filenames always get truncated to that nasty 8.3 format
if the disc is used under Windows.  Under Linux it's fine.

I haven't been concerned about this in the past, because anything I
burn is strictly for Linux anyway, but it may not be the same for my
friend.  When I do a burn, I use mkisofs and the cdrecord program.  I
use cdrecord with the "-R" option to enable Rock Ridge extensions,
which is obviously working since I get the long filenames under
Linux.  Doesn't Windows support Rock Ridge?  I'm not about to burn a
"Joliet" cd.

Sorry, you'll have to. WinXX doesn't use Rock Ridge extensions, only Joliet. Fortunately, you can have Rock Ridge and Joliet extensions on the same disk since they use different, non-overlapping mechanisms. The latest version of mkisofs (not yet packaged, at least last time I checked) supports creating images with Joliet extensions. Get it here and compile it yourself (or if you want I'll email you the binary). I've created disks with it have have been very pleased with the results.
On a semi-related, yet trivial note: why do some of the options for
cdrecord begin with a "-" and others do not?  For example, the -R
option for Rock Ridge, but the "speed=x" option has no hyphen.
weird.
Dunno. Annoying, isn't it?

--
Jens B. Jorgensen