burning cd question

I'm backing up some data for a friend with my CD burner.  Every burn
I've done has been under Linux, and gone to perfection except in one
respect: the filenames always get truncated to that nasty 8.3 format
if the disc is used under Windows.  Under Linux it's fine.

I haven't been concerned about this in the past, because anything I
burn is strictly for Linux anyway, but it may not be the same for my
friend.  When I do a burn, I use mkisofs and the cdrecord program.  I
use cdrecord with the "-R" option to enable Rock Ridge extensions,
which is obviously working since I get the long filenames under
Linux.  Doesn't Windows support Rock Ridge?  I'm not about to burn a
"Joliet" cd.

On a semi-related, yet trivial note: why do some of the options for
cdrecord begin with a "-" and others do not?  For example, the -R
option for Rock Ridge, but the "speed=x" option has no hyphen.
weird.

Thanks,
MG

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"They're always havin' a good time down on the bayou,