Re: CD recorder problem

On 24 Feb 1999 hubert.fauque@wanadoo.fr wrote:

> "Daniel J. Brosemer" <odin@bolverk.dorm.org> writes:
>
> > On 23 Feb 1999 hubert.fauque@wanadoo.fr wrote:
> >
> > cdwrite is not as full-featured as cdrecord.  Unless you have a special
> > reason to use cdwrite, I suggest
> >   cdrecord -v -dummy -xa2 dev=3,0 speed=2 cdimage.raw
> >                ^^^^^
> >                 for testing so you don't kill a disc.
> >
> thanks for your answer, which has helped me to find the problem:
> cdrecord sent the message
> debian modprobe: can't locate module char-major-21
> and I have found that I had forgotten to configure
> the scsi generic driver in kernel conf;
> now it works.
>
> I am nom looking for technical info about CD writing, do you know
> where I could find it?

Well, there's always the red book, orange book, white book, etc. but that
can get expensive.  Are you looking for info on the hardware side (ie how
the data gets on there) or data on the iso9660 filesystem?

An old book "Mastering CD-ROM Technology" has answered all the questions I
had.

Mastering CD-ROM Technology
by Larry Boden
ISBN 0-471-12174-6
publisher: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1995

I especially found the info on the iso9600 filesystem useful.

HTH
-Dano