Re: Best partitionscheme 2 ?

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, F. Frijns wrote:

> OK guys (girls maybe too)
> What is the best partition scheme if you only have 500Mb to spare and want to develop in C (C++). I'm asking this because after several attempts I do have a running a Debian Linux system but every time I found out that a lot of packages are de-installed again (60-70, reported by dselect and not re-installable again). This de-installation includes 'info' and 'man'-pages, and man-pages will come at hand, now and then.....

In your case I might use a little trick. At the start, make a 75MB root
partition and put all of the rest on /usr. Now after you are up and
running, go to single-user mode. Make a /usr/var directory. Copy
everything from /var to /usr/var. Delete /var and symlink /usr/var to var.

The reason for this is that most of your work will be in /usr or /usr
local so that is where you are going to want a lot of space. If, however,
you use apt, it wants to use /var/cache for downladed packages so you need
a lot of space there but you do not need it all the time. In this way /usr
and /var will share the same partition.

The only problems you might have are if some program will not follow
symlinks.