Best partitionscheme 2 ?

OK guys (girls maybe too)

Reading the mails I learned a lot about Debian (I'm just switching from RedHat 5.1due to lack of support for MCA PC's. This RedHat version only runs with a Debian! kernel in DOS completed with LOADLIN. The Debian version however uses the MCA-architecture perfectly!)

Question:
What is the best partition scheme if you only have 500Mb to spare and want to develop in C (C++). I'm asking this because after several attempts I do have a running a Debian Linux system but every time I found out that a lot of packages are de-installed again (60-70, reported by dselect and not re-installable again). This de-installation includes 'info' and 'man'-pages, and man-pages will come at hand, now and then.....

Thanx for your time and help in advance.
Frank.