Re: Linux Educational Needs Posting Pages

Randy Edwards wrote:

> > I am passing around a link to a new page
> > designed for the purpose of helping
> > LINUX move into the classroom.
>
>    Sounds like a great idea.  Linux is a "natural" for education.

Yes!!  So much so that I've convinced the department head at the local technical
college -
North Central Technical College (NCTC) - here in Mansfield to use it on all of the
systems
to be used in the Unix course I've just agreed to teach.

Starting March 29th we will have at least 24 new Debian users!!  The plans are for us
to use the Debian Linux users manual (2nd edition?) as the course's text book.  And
to send each and every student home with a CD-ROM set so they can also load it onto
their personal systems - and with luck pass it along!!!

Let's hear it for CIS-270!!!

>    Besides consultant types, what else do you need?  I'm a technology
> coordinator in a public school district and have been beating the Linux drum
> in educational circles as loudly as I can.  For example, in March I'm doing
> two presentations on Linux in education, one at a state (NH) meeting of tech
> coords, and one at the national SchoolTechExpo in NYC.
>
>    One can make many strong arguments for using Linux in educational settings,
> especially cash-strapped ones.  The main problem is that system administrators
> for public schools are often ill-trained (or non-trained) and overworked...the
> enthusiasm of students helps some in that regard, but only a little.

In Ohio it's even worse.  The state has sent out bids for managing the introduction
of technology into the public schools - the bid went to one or more regional
companies/consortiums, all of which favor NT...if the schools want the state funds,
then they have to do what the consortiums dictate.  It really sucks.  I was "this
close" to putting a Linux based solution in at the school where my children attend,
but was shot down at the last minute by the demand for NT.

> --
>  Regards, | redwards@golgotha.net        | Microsoft: Making the
>  .        | redwards@colebrook.k12.nh.us | world safe for computing
>  Randy    | redwards@debian.org          | illiteracy.  Coming soon
>           | http://www.golgotha.net      | to a brain near you...

Chuck

----
Chuck Stickelman, Owner                 E-Mail:
Practical Network Design                Voice:  +1-419-529-3841
9 Chambers Road                         FAX:    +1-419-529-3625
Mansfield, OH 44906-1301 USA