AHA-2940 SCSI won't boot

I asked this a week or two ago, but am still having trouble.

As a recap, I have a Gateway2000 P5-200 with an Adaptec AHA-2940
Ultra/Ultraw SCSI host adapter with four 2GB Seagate ST32155W drives. DOS
does fine with it; Win95 does fine; WinNT does fine.

When I try to install Hamm, Slink, or Potato, with the standard images or
with the boot images from http://www.debian.org/~adric/aic7xxx/, I either
get an infinite loop of trying to reset channell 0 (or something similar)
or I get a total lock-up just after the point in the boot-up where 419
instructions are downloaded to the adapter.

I've tinkered with the Ctrl-A-accessible settings of the SCSI card's BIOS,
but things either get worse or stay the same.

I really hope someone out there has the knowledge to help me past this
roadblock.

Thanks!