Re: how much processor time is allocated to a program

Frankie wrote:
  >I am sure that when I first started using debian/linux I had a program
  >(I think part of another packages), and if you ran "thisprogram
  >anotherprogram" then it would rum anotherprogram and tell you exactly
  >how much time was allocated to the running of that program.
  >I don't know where to look in dselect, so can anyone remember what it
  >was called?

The program is called `time'; it is not a standalone program but part of
bash:
olly@linda$ type time
time is a shell keyword
olly@linda$ help time
time: time [-p] PIPELINE
    Execute PIPELINE and print a summary of the real time, user CPU time,
    and system CPU time spent executing PIPELINE when it terminates.
    The return status is the return status of PIPELINE.  The `-p' option
    prints the timing summary in a slightly different format.  This uses
    the value of the TIMEFORMAT variable as the output format.
times: times
    Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from
    the shell.

     "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is
      profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction,
      for instruction in righteousness; That the man of God
      may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good
      works."         II Timothy 3:16,17