pdflatex problem

I can give a partial answer to the pdflatex problem:
pdflatex uses type 1 outline fonts by default, instead of
bitmapped fonts, which is good because it makes the pdf
image crystal clear.  Whereas the bitmap font info
exists for every point size, the outline font info
apparently exists only for 5 point, 7 point and 10 point,
and the intervening point size are interpolated.  amslatex
has a style file cmmib57 to solve this problem for one of
their fonts, and any other package enabling you to use type
1 fonts should have the same.

BTW, pdftex is still alpha software, and my experience is
that with complex documents pdflatex has been creating pdf
files which the acrobat reader could not read.  But for
simple documents it works great.

Hans Ehrbar

--
Hans G. Ehrbar                               ehrbar@econ.utah.edu
Economics Department, University of Utah     (801) 581 7797 (my office)