Re: System not finding fsck or /sbin

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, J.L.Gomez Dans wrote:

> Hi!
>     I left my computer over the weekend enjoying itself with octave.
> I tried loggin in from my ppp account last night, but couldn't; my
> host was asking for login and passwd, and would then close the
> connection. When I came here, all sorts of kernel messages were
> around, basically saying that the root fs was corrupt and mounted
> read-only.

I had basicly the same problem last week on a hamm system running 2.0.35
with a UDMA disk. I had some root fs corruption. The only way I have been
able to get a handle on it is to put any Seagate UDMA drives into PIO Mode
3 with the BIOS.

Which kernel and what kind of drives?

You are going to need to make a rescue floppy ... you can do this on a
Windows computer, then fsck the drive and HOPE you have enough uncorrupted
binaries to boot the system. The way I do it is to boot the rescue disk as
if installing, set the CRT and keyboard information, mount a swap
partition. then switch to another VC and manually fsck the bad disk.