System not finding fsck or /sbin

Hi!
    I left my computer over the weekend enjoying itself with octave.
I tried loggin in from my ppp account last night, but couldn't; my
host was asking for login and passwd, and would then close the
connection. When I came here, all sorts of kernel messages were
around, basically saying that the root fs was corrupt and mounted
read-only. I couldn't do anything, so I resetted the computer, and
restarted it again. It now boots on single user mode. I tried having
a look at what fsck would say, and found out that /sbin isn't
available. I get some sort of message saying that that directory's
got some errors.

   Unfortunately, I can't find the bootdisk I had for my computer...
gloom... Any ideas? Please, I'd appreciate that you cc'd any replies
to me as well as to the list.

Thanks
Jose