Re: i740 and Xserver as user

This is  being forwarded to the list; please include Micheal in your reply.
Thanks.

At 11:11 PM 2/21/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>I am replying to your post re the Intel i740 driver and Debian 2.0.
>I've recently switched to Debian from Redhat 5.2 to try it out.
>Everything installed well. I can only use XWindow as root.
>Everything seems to be in order: /etc/X11/Xserver file seems to be
>OK and I have Console on the second line. Just wondering why I'm
>not able to run X as user. My permissions seem to be ok and
>things seemed to be linked correctly. Any suggestions will be
>greatly appreciated. There aren't very many posts on this subject,
>just thought you might be able to shed some light on this problem.
>I don't know why Debian should be so difficult to configure.
>Thanks for anything.
>
>Best regards,
>Mike
>keeper@sssnet.com

Mike:
 I'm still a little too green to know these answers, so I've forwarded your
message to the Debian Users list. If I were you, I'd probably use dselect
to remove X base, which should give a message about dependency problems and
hopefully remove other X stuff. Then let dselect/dpkg remove it. Then turn
around and add X base back to your system (dependency stuff should include
what you need), make sure you install the X server you want to use (SVGA,
Mach64, etc), and let dselect/dpkg reinstall all that. Then see if things
work the way you want.

I'm sure there's a better way to fix this, but being limited in knowledge
of the under-the-hood workings, this is what I'd try.