Re: Replying to messages with gnus

Bob Hilliard <hilliard@flinet.com> writes:

>      In my .emacs file I have the following variables set:
>
> ; To send a blind carbon copy of every outgoing message to yourself,
> ; set the variable `mail-self-blind' to `t'.  (from emacs help_info)
> (setq mail-self-blind t)
>
> ; To add a signature to messages:
> (setq mail-signature-file "~bob/.sig")
> (setq mail-signature t)
>
>      When I use gnus to reply to a message, these variables are not
> recognized, although other settings from my .emacs _are_ recognized.
>
>      These settings are used when I use emacs to send mail.  Can
> anyone suggest what I should do to make them work in gnus?

When replying with gnus the mail-self-blind and mail-signature*
variables are not honored.  Instead use you can use
message-default-headers, message-signature, and
message-signature-file.  I think the following should do what you
want:

(setq message-default-headers "Bcc: hilliard@flinet.com\n")
(setq message-signature-file "~bob/.sig")
(setq message-signature t)

Somewhere along the way, 'mail' was generalized to 'message'
(including posting on newsgroups as well as sending email).  It is
possible, of course, to customize the signature file (or virtually any
other aspect of gnus). For instance, you can use different signature
files for sending messages to different destinations.  Instead of
setting message-signature to t, write a form that evals to what you
want.  From the documentation for message-signature:

`message-signature' (buffer: *Hyper Apropos*, mode: Hyper-Apropos)

  *String to be inserted at the end of the message buffer.
  If t, the `message-signature-file' file will be inserted instead.
  If a function, the result from the function will be used instead.
  If a form, the result from the form will be used instead.

(By the way, I, too, found this change in behavior a bit obscure and
not obviously documented.)  I'm using xemacs, not fsf emacs right now,
but I think this applies to gnus under fsf emacs as well. Let me know
if this works for you.

--Miguel