Re: hamm/pppconfig?

Larry writes:
> The first time I tried pppconfig it worked perfectly, but I just tried
> to change the phone number and now it won't connect.

*Exactly* what did you do?  *Exactly* what results did you get?

> I tried deleting /etc/ppp/peers/provider in an effort to erase the
> defaults and start over, but when I ran pppconfig the defaults were
> still there.

What do you mean by the defaults?  The default valuse displayed by
pppconfig are not read from a file.  They are generated internally by
pppconfig when the provider files (/etc/chatscripts/provider and
/etc/ppp/peers/provider) either don't exist or don't look right.

> What files should I delete to get pppconfig back to where it was when I
> first installed hamm?

When you first installed hamm the ppp package installed a set of default
files.  Pppconfig ignored these and showed you its defaults.  It then
replaced the files installed by the ppp package with those it generated
when you answered the questions.

Look in /etc/chatscripts and /etc/ppp/peers for files named 'provider.bak'.
Depending on exactly what you did, these files may contain your data.
Rename each of them from 'provider.bak' to just 'provider' and run
pppconfig again.  If you are lucky your old data will come up.  If not you
will have to enter it all again.

--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)