Re: magic cookie error

I've seen this question a lot on this list, and although this (xhost) is
a working solution, it seems to be considered to be a bit of a security
hole (anyone logged on to the localhost can access the X-Server, and
thus monitor keys and find out peoples passwords).

If you set the XAUTHORITY variable in your environment as root to be
/<home_path_of_the_person_running_the_xserver>/.Xauthority, eg by
adding:
	export XAUTHORITY=/home/<user>/.Xauthority
to the .bashrc of root (if you are using the bash shell), then root can
open windows on user's xserver.  Beware, however, that you will have a
problem if you try to start an X-server as root, as it will try and use
an old/non-existent(?) copy of .Xauthority from user's home directory.
To get around this, you would need to unset the XAUTHORITY variable in
root's environment.  However, I belive running X as root is also
considered to be the wrong thing to do.

hope this help
Rich