Re: Debian who?

> I'm a Brand Spankin' Shinning Newbe with a Brand Spankin Shinning New
> Debian install using floppies, all seven of them D/Led from Debian.org,
> so now what? The man pages don't work. Nothing will install because of
> dependency errors except for joe (works great but there must be
> something better). Can't get the computer on the internet because that
> machine isn't connected and doesn't have the software, yet. Games won't
> install either. Really wanted to get it up and running to learn Linux,
> C, C++ and a few other things. Besides, I'd like to replace WinDoze95
> with something I can depend on and understand how it works and maybe
> even tweak a little. So, what do I do now?

You currently have a very minimal set of packages installed - i.e. enough
to enable you to install the rest ;). You need to get some debian packages
from somewhere:

1) over a fast net link (slow ones are OK, if you're not paying per
minute)
2) get a debian CD (A suppliers list is on the website)

Then run dselect, and pick the packages you want....

<snip>

>         Mounting local file systems ...
>         not mounted anything

This is fine. Not a problem at all. You only have linux installed on one
partition, right? local file systems would be other disk partitions that
you may at some point get, and add to /etc/fstab.

HTH,

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo