xdm question

I successfully upgraded to slink from hamm. Yahoo! It only took about 10
hours over 3 days to do it. apt is your friend!!!

One question though. I rebooted my system and xdm started. I never use
xdm, but I thought okay I'll try it. It wouldn't let me log in either as
root or as a normal user.

I did a ctrl-alt-F1 and found xdm in /etc/init.d/. Is it okay to remove
xdm from here without any adverse effects? Well, I did it anyway :) but
I was just wondering if I should seek an alternative solution.

TIA

--
                                  __   _
Mark Wagnon                  -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __