Re: Sending with mutt/smail. was: Netscape 'movemail'

Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:

>     Hi Richard,
>     first thank you for aswering me with great patiente. :)
> Richard Harran wrote:
<snip>

I don't use mutt, or smail to send mail, so I'm cc this reply to the
list, as we're reaching the limit of my knowledge!

>     First. I installed smail with Debian 2.0. I dont install exim. Yet. I
> tried your .fetchmailrc and then typed
> fetchmail. Worked!! I started mutt and voila the mail was here.

Yes: smail provides similar services to exim.  I'm not exactly sure of
all the differences, but from what I've seen of emails to this list,
people seem to prefer exim.

<snip>

>     But, I didnt could send mail. :( What I have to do?

This is again a job for smail(/exim).  I think when you send a message
in mutt, it should start up smail to do the actual work.  I can't really
tell you what to do here, sorry.

> Another question. I grep ppp/ip-up.d and saw the line:
>
> phantasy:/etc/ppp/ip-up.d# more fetchmail-up
> #!/bin/bash
>
> test -r /etc/fetchmailrc && \
>         fetchmail --syslog --invisible --fetchmailrc /etc/fetchmailrc
>
> phantasy:/etc/ppp/ip-up.d#
>
>     But this is the global configuration (/etc). How do I start fetchmail as
> user every time I connect? Have you understanded the question?

I'm not sure, but I guess you could replace /etc/fetchmailrc with
$HOME/.fetchmailrc, but this would cause problems if ip-up is run before
login.  You should also check there isn't anything important in the /etc
file that isn't in the ~/ file.  Again, sorry but I'm uncertain about
this stuff: my setup is a bit different, 'cos I'm permanently connected.

> > You can get it to deliver to different folders, and even sort your mail
> > by editing a .forward file in your home directory, eg.
> >
> >         if $header_resent-from: contains "debian-user"
> >         then
> >         save $home/mail/debian
> >         else
> >         save $home/mail/inbox
> >
> > Then you need to set up your reader to point to the mail directory in
<snip>

>     I have read of procmail too. Is it good?

I think procmail does pretty much the same function as that of exim
described above.  You need a ~/.procmailrc file, with (differently
formatted rules in it.  As to the advantages and disadvantages over
~.forward and exim, I don't know.  I've put the example .procmailrc from
the procmail manpage below, to give you an idea.  I think it puts most
of your mail in ~/Mail/mbox, saves anything with a name ending in berg
in the From: field to ~/Mail/from_me, and bins anything with a Subject:
line ending in Flame.

 sample small $HOME/.procmailrc:
       PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
       MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail      #you'd better make sure it exists
       DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox   #completely optional
       LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from   #recommended

       :0:
       * ^From.*berg
       from_me

       :0
       * ^Subject:.*Flame
       /dev/null

>     Thank again for your atention. I'm a coordinator of LUG here at Brazil
> (Rio de Janeiro). I'm introducing Linux everywhere.
> Especially Debian (that is very good). I have to know basic things to teach
> others.
>     Paulo Henrique

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful this time.  Hopefully someone on the
list will be able to clarify this.

Rich.

<snip original query>