2.2.1 kernel installation problem

I biuld a 2.2.1 kernel.
Attempting a: make zdisk failed until I changed the floppy device from
/dev/fd0 to /dev/rfd0. Still the machine does not see it as a "bootable"
floppy.

Attempted a: make vmlinux and ended up with an unbootable machine.
It tells me that the boot device 8, 1 cannot be mounted, when booting up
from the hard drive.

If this rings a bell to anyone feel free to drop me a line :)

I'll take another few stubs at it in the meantime.
I can still boot 2.0.33 from a floppy so IO can use the machine enough to
configure it.

TIA

Dimitri.p