Re: Master Boot Record

At 09:30 PM 2/19/1999 +0000, Nils Lorvick wrote:
>As I referred to in my previous email, is that I have tried fdisk /mbr
>in DOS and that hasen't worked. I believe there is something corrupt
>in the boot sector/FAT tables. And I can't get it back. I have tried
>the DD if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 bs=1024 count=1 and it doesn't do
>ANYTHING. It gives me the default options menu...but nothing happens to the
>hard drive.
>

>Nils =O)
>nils.stix@usa.net
>"You could trouble me for a nice warm glass of shut up!"
>http://members.tripod.com/YouthRAGE/

I don't remember all the thread; does it go something like this? You've got
one drive; it was setup to run Linux; now you need to go back to DOS and
you can't get DOS to boot but Linux still does?

You just have one drive, not two?

You've booted off a DOS floppy and run fdisk and removed the Linux
partitions and created one primary partition and made it active (bootable)
and rebooted off the floppy and then ran "fdisk /mbr" and then rebooted off
the floppy and then ran "format c: /s"?

If this didn't work, I suspect some sort of hardware issue; perhaps your
CMOS isn't autodetecting the hard drive properly, or you've got a
master/slave jumper set improperly.

If all the hardware is okay, then doing the above steps should wipe the
drive and restore it to a bootable (minimal DOS) state. If it doesn't, I'm
stumped.