Re: problems with 2 xservers

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 10:55:27PM +1100, Shao Zhang wrote:
> 	I am running two xservers on my debian box. In my Xservers, I have
> the following line:
>
> :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt7
>
> 	But when xdm starts on vt7, everything is fine, then I can login
> as normal, but then after a while, it swiches to vt8. Then I will have to
> switch it back to vt7, and all of my fvwm stuff is wiped off, I have to
> refresh the screen to get back to normal.
>
> 	So how do I stop this??

That's very bizarre.  I have never heard of that before.

See if you can reproduce this problem without logging into server 0.

In other words, will the system automatically switch to vt8 after a period
of time regardless of whether someone is logged on to the server on vt7?

If so, start xdm by hand as root and strace it.  I.e.,

/etc/init.d/xdm stop
strace -f -o /tmp/xdm.trace /usr/bin/X11/xdm

Await the fireworks.  Once the automatic switch happens, hop back to the
root VC and kill xdm as soon as possible.

Then gzip -9 the trace file, and MIME-attach it to a bug report against
xdm.

I suspect the problem is either 1) bad configuration on your system
somehow, or 2) an upstream problem.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    There's nothing an agnostic can't do
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    if he doesn't know whether he believes