RE: XFree86 problems

> Tom Anzalone wrote:
> >
> > After I setup Xfree using the configurator I saved the config file and
> > the machine rebooted.  When the machine gets to the login prompt
> > after the reboot, the Monitor starts to blink and I can't log in.  It
> > looks like X windows is trying to start as I see a line before the
> > login saying that xdm is starting.  I can't log in to change the
> > settings in Xfree.  Is there a way to bypass startup items as they
> > load? Or is there a way to start another command line so I can at
> > least login?  Thanks in advance!
>
> The problem is that XDM is trying to start, but your x-config
> isn't right... what you need to do is this:  at the LILO:
> prompt hold down the Ctrl key.  this should let you type in the
> name of the image/OS you want to start.  type:
>   linux single
>
> if your normal kernel image isn't 'linux' then just type:
>   <name-of-your-image> single
>
> the tab key will list the image options you have.  In any case,
> this will reboot your computer into single-user-mode.  Type in
> the root passwd when it asks, then do:
>   chmod a-x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
>
> This will keep xdm from trying to start.  reboot into normal mode
> and you'll be at a normal console login.  From there you can log
> in and work on your X-configuration
>
> --Evan

Another item to try - when xdm comes up with it's bad display hit Ctrl-R,
which should exit out of xdm and back to a text login prompt. At that point
you can continue on also. (I like it because you can see the config is
wrong, hit ^R and work on it, reboot and look at it, see it's wrong, hit ^R
to work on it <g>...)