/dev/hdc: unexpected_intr status:0x00 -- HELP!!!!!

I just installed a Mitsumi CR-2801TE CD-writer last night.  It's an IDE
device, Master on the secondary bus (/dev/hdc).  My old CD-rom is now Slave
on the same bus (/dev/hdd).  I have one hard disk, Primary Master(/dev/hda).
There is no Primary Slave.  I'm starting to think this might be my problem.

Anyway, when I boot, the kernel identifies all the existing IDE devices and
then reports the IO and IRQ of the IDE controller, and then launches into a
neverending cycle of this (or something very close to this; I didn't write
it down):

/dev/hdc: unexpected_intr status:0x00

>From my preliminary research on mailing list archives, it looks really ugly;
apparently I may have to rewrite part of my kernel (ide.c).

My question is this:  IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY?  Is there any simpler way to
do this?  Kernel Hacking makes me break out into cold sweats.  Is there,
perhaps, a more recent kernel in which this problem is fixed?  (I heard 2.2
is out...)  Or maybe a patch file?  Please????