Re: Debian Logo *Idea* Contest! (Delay for painting contest required)

I think we have enough animals already.  We've already got a
penguin --- the linux mascot.  We already have a gnu as well.  Having
yet another animal for Debian is IMHO really not the answer.

As far as marketing goes, I reckon RedHat have got it perfect.  They
have a simple, bright, easily identifiable object.  It's easy to draw.
It's bright.  It's easy to combine with other things --- for example
you could easily draw a penguin wearing a red hat --- easily drawing
the connection between RedHat and Linux.  It's simple yet powerful.

If only Debian could do something similar.  My suggestion is that we
come up with some simple, yet powerful, visual object that could
easily be connected with a penguin, or with a gnu, or with a variety
of other themes.

As for some ideas of what this object should be.  Some suggestions:

* some sort of flower --- visions of a penguin holding a flower, or a
gnu holding a flower in it's teeth --- etc etc.  A flower is a simple,
yet powerful object.

* a fob watch --- visions of a penguin with a fob watch.  It is a
powerful visual object and gives out vibes of precision and quality.

* a paper aeroplane --- simple yet powerful visual object --- vibes of
freedom, beauty, precision etc.

And I'm sure there are many more possibilities.

Mark.