XFree86 problems

After I setup Xfree using the configurator I saved the config file and
the machine rebooted.  When the machine gets to the login prompt
after the reboot, the Monitor starts to blink and I can't log in.  It
looks like X windows is trying to start as I see a line before the
login saying that xdm is starting.  I can't log in to change the
settings in Xfree.  Is there a way to bypass startup items as they
load? Or is there a way to start another command line so I can at
least login?  Thanks in advance!

Tom
Tanzalon@harrisassoc.com