Which mail system?

I have installed Linux and now I would like to start sending and
receiving mail. I would like to send and receive mail to the smtp server
and from the pop server from my ISP. My computer is a stand-alone
machine, so there is no local mail.

What is, in my case, the best package for mailing?

The book 'Running Linux' (O'Reilly) suggests using smail and elm, but I
have the feeling smail is for setting up a mailserver. Which I don't
need because I connect to my ISP's mailserver. I can use netscape for
this, but I would appreciate a mail system a mail system that receives
mail in the background, without me having to start X and netscape every
time.

Thanx,

Robert-Jan Kuijvenhoven