Re: C2-HP CD-Writer Plus 7200i ReWritable CD-Rom compatibility]

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to uses cdrw disks using other
drives than the hp 7200i, and if you can read/write a Windows formated
cdrw
under linux?

It would be great to be use my 'big floppy disks' at other school, etc.

Thanks,
Wim Kerkhoff

Surestore Support wrote:

> Hello Wim,
>
> Thank you for contacting the Alternative Resource Center of
> Hewlett-Packard.
>
> CD-RW discs can only be read in re-writable CD-Writers and MultiRead
> CD-ROM drives.  They cannot be recognized in most standard CD-ROM
> drives, due to the lower reflectivity of the CD-RW media.  This is a
> hardware limitation and there is no way to alter it, other than
> replacing the CD-ROM drive itself.
>
> There is currently no support for the CD-Writer in any operating
system
> besides Windows 9.x and NT40.
>
> Sincerely,
> BillP
> Hewlett-Packard Americas Customer Care Center
> Alternative Resource Center

>            Copyright  Hewlett-Packard Co. 1999
> This information is subject to change without notice and
>           is provided "as is" with no warranty.
>    Hewlett-Packard shall not be liable for any direct,
>  indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages
>       in connection with the use of this material.

> Hewlett-Packard is seeking to continuously improve their
> service to you, our customer.  Please take a few minutes
> to answer several questions related to your service and
> support experience with Hewlett-Packard.  The survey
> can be located at:
>
> http://www.hp.com/cposupport/survey/email_isg.html
>
> Original message date: 2/17/99  2:56:40 PM
> E-Mail Address: kerkhoff@uniserve.com
>
> Original message follows:
> -------------------------
>
> Subject: ReWritable CD-Rom compatibility
>
> Region:Canada
>
> - Wim Kerkhoff  (Name)
> - kerkhoff@uniserve.com  (Email)
> - HP CD-Writer Plus 7200i  (Product)
> - Windows 95 CD-Writer Software (from HP)  (SW)
> - can't read cdrw disk  (Error)
> - Pentiums w brand new 30x plus cd-rom drives  (PC)
> - IDE Controller (built into mainboard)  (SCSI)
> - Other (Please specify in your message)  (CPU)
> - Other (Please specify in your message)  (OS)
> - 64 MB or more  (RAM)
> - IDE above 1 GB  (HardDrive)
> - HP CD-RW C4404A  (Media)
>
> Hi, I am having problems reading my CD-RW disks in drivers other than
my
> 7200i internal.  How Can I use my cdrw disks in other computers? I
> really need this capability.
>
> Also, How can I rewrite disks in Debian/GNU Linux as there is no
Adaptec
> or other HP software for that excellent operating system.
>
> Waiting for your reply,
>
> Wim Kerkhoff
> kerkhoff@uniserve.com

begin:vcard