Re: Archiving Old Messages and Misc Mail Features

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 04:59:19PM -0800, George Bonser wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Stephen Pitts wrote:

> > I'm using fetchmail, procmail, and mutt to get/sort/read mail. I've
> >been subscribed to the debian list (among others) for about 2 months, and
> >I just realized I have 42 megabytes of email in ~/Mail. Can anyone
> >recommend a reasonable way to archive these messages, i.e. by two-week
> >intervals or months? I'd imagine that someone who has received this list
> >for a long time has come up with a way to archive the list. Also, I've
> >heard that gnus can make collapsable threads. Does anyone know if mutt
> >can do that or can be coerced to do that?
>
> For lists that have archives on the web that will sort by date or thread,
> your best bet is:
>
> rm <mailbox>
>
> The Data Conservation Corps would go nuts knowing how many copies of the
> same messages exist in local mailboxes when they can all be accessed on
> the web.  No need to save debian-user of you have a web browser.

I've found two problems with this:
1. Archives on the web are usually on slow sites, with the exception of DejaNews. Both the KDE lists.kde.org and the Debian egroup.com sites are unbearably slow for my tastes.

2. Threads in progress (like the heated Gimp Debian Logo contest debate on debian-devel):
I'd like to keep the whole thread intact until discussion ceases. A rm <mailbox> will orphan any future messages from that thread.

--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com