Re: I've removed /etc. How can I restore it?

Date sent:      	Wed, 17 Feb 1999 07:23:12 -0500 (EST)
From:           	"David B. Teague" <dbt@elentari.cs.wcu.edu>
To:             	Conrado Badenas <Conrado.Badenas@uv.es>
Copies to:      	Debian Users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject:        	Re: I've removed /etc. How can I restore it?

> How can I get a list of packages I really DO have installed in order to
> reinstall again in order dselect to know the truth?

I had windows trash my ext2 filesystem when I tried to format a
dos partition on the same disk...that's MS for you.
The entire /var/lib directory was ruined (including dpkg status), so I

1. Booted the rescue disk (the partition was too ruined to boot)
2. Mount the partition on /mnt and do 'ls /mnt/usr/doc > /packages'
3. Save this file somewhere besides the ramdisk used by the
installer
4. When the system was up, do a 'dpkg --set-selections <
packages'

This got most of my packages installed.

HTH,

	Andy