help with dselect

Hi,

It's me again, trying desperately to learn Linux...

I am trying to use dselect to install some packages into my new install of
Debian..  but every time I try to start installing, I get the message:

"Packages yet to be unpacked:
 304 in <unknown>:  vim gnushogi xphoon pwgen tcl8.0 tk8.0 libpaperg...
dpkg-split: unable to read depot directory '/var/lib/dpkg/parts/':  No such
file or directory

installation script returned error exit status 1.
press RETURN to continue"

???  being the traditional Win95 user I know nothing of what is going on!
The machine is a Compaq Contura 3/25, 6mb RAM, 115mb HD.  I'm sure it's just
something I did wrong though.

I need to get this dselect working, so I can install manpages, and then I
can setup Lilo so I do not have to put in the boot disk every time!

Another couple dumb questions while I am at it:

* I accidentaly did not enter a password for root when I set up debian.
what is the command to change that password.
* What do I need to do to use my modem to dial up with a terminal program?
Iguess I need to get dselect to work first, eh? =)

Thanks again, you guys are a great group of people.  thanks for all the
great responses about Lilo!

Tony