RE: I always have to log in as root!?

$ adduser username dip

This worked fine

Of course only root can do this ...

Regarding X there are two situations possible. If you run xdm as I would
recommend, xdm handles all logins. Only root can start or end xdm but this
is a feature, too. You can still kill the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace,
but xdm will start one again.

If you dont want to use xdm and it is not running, every user can start X
with "startx" from the console. This should be no problem. If it is, maybe
X has not the right permissions.
Check with:
$ ls -l /usr/bin/X11/X
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root         4872 Jul 22  1998 /usr/bin/X11/X
   ^ This is important!

Just set things up the way you like.

X has the right permissions. But I thought of something else that might be causing the ploblem. To get X11 working (as root), I had to change XF86_VGA16 to XF86_S3. The book 'Running Linux' suggested to change the link /usr/bin/X11/X to point to XF86_S3. I noticed the file /usr/bin/X11/X wasn't a link. So I made a backup of the file and created a new link that pointed to XF86_S3. This way I could start X11 (but only as root).

Could this be the problem? The system gives the following error if I try to start X when I am not logged in as a root:

_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running.

Thanks,

Robert-Jan Kuijvenhoven