Re: Bridging Networks

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 lwbuss@technologist.com wrote:

> I am attempting to bridge 2 Windows 95 peer to peer networks
> through a phone connection.  At this point I feel that the use of a
> dedicated Linux machine is necessary.  The 2 networks both use
> NetBEUI and IPX/SPX.  Does anyone have an idea where I should
> start.

Hi,

	I think I've a similar situation here. A Linux box in the Dept
has 3 NIC's and connects the internal windows machines with external
netware servers.
	You'll have to recompile your kernel with ipx support. After that,
configure the ipx interfaces, and install the ipxripd package; it will do
the bridge between your networks.
	As a hint, try to not use the netbios protocol in the windows
machines. Use netbeui over TCP.
	Maybe you'll need samba if you want to do browsing with the
windows, on both sides of your network.

	hth,

[]s,
Mario O.de Menezes | "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
IPEN-CNEN/SP       | is the Lord's purpose that prevails" Prov. 19.21