Re: latex

Shao Zhang <shaoz@unsw.edu.au> writes:
Shao> 	I am having trouble to use footnote in a paragraph mode.
Shao>
Shao> 	\paragraph { hello world\footnotemark }
Shao> 	\footnotetext{hello world}

I'd do something more like

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Hello, world.\footnote{Thanks to Kernighan and Ritchie.}
\end{document}

Shao> Also, how do I break text into paragraphs without any white
Shao> spaces at the beginning of each paragraph.

Try

\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}  % No indent at the start of paragraphs
\setlength{\parskip}{1ex}    % Put 1ex vertical space between paragraphs

Shao> I am using paragraph within section,

I rarely, if ever, use \paragraph.  Any chunk of text delimited by a
sectioning command or a completely empty line is considered a
"paragraph".

I'd recommend reading through
/usr/lib/texmf/doc/latex/general/lshort2e.dvi.gz, which is a
reasonably good reference to the LaTeX system.  If you're serious
about learning and using LaTeX, I'd also recommend Leslie Lamport's
book, _LaTeX: A Document Processing System_ or some such, which also
provides a good introduction to LaTeX.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"