Strage Problem with FTPd and Telnetd but not SSH.

Hey All...

I have a reoccurring problem that can be solved by a reboot, but I would
rather fix the problem now so I know what is going on.  It is a fairly
awkward error that just started again on my system after working for
17-days without reboot.

My home linux box is on a network and is a gateway to the Internet via a
PPP dial up account.  IPchains is setup and working like a champ, but now
my system is to the point where it's clients do not communicate (for lack
of a better word) with daemons at my work.

If I try to FTP to my linux box at work from my linux box at home (via PPP)
it simply hangs on the client end and gives the following message on the
server side:

Feb 16 19:18:03 torch wu-ftpd[32109]: warning: can't get client address:
Connection reset by peer
Feb 16 19:18:03 torch wu-ftpd[32109]: connect from unknown
Feb 16 19:18:03 torch syslog: getpeername (wu-ftpd): Transport endpoint is
not connected
Feb 16 19:18:06 torch wu-ftpd[32109]: FTP session closed