Re: Managing /usr/local

MallarJ@aol.com writes:
| I was also looking for just this sort of package, but never did find one.
| There are some similar tools, but none that perform the functions you're
| looking for.
|
| * tripwire monitors systems and reports modifications to files, but
| it doesn't
| tell you what was changed, only that they were changed.
|
| * moninst comes close, but doesn't handle additions and deletions of files.
|
| I was thinking of writing a package to do this, but it'll take me
| awhile, it's
| not my top priority at the moment.

Here's a couple more I found earlier, but they don't really do what I
want either. They're basically wrappers around the Unix "install"
command and that's how they track installations:

SmartInst (http://www.iae.nl/users/grimaldo/OpenSoft/smartinst.shtml)
Pack install monitor (http://www.linuxos.org/Pack.html)

I really don't want an "install" wrapper. That's a neat idea but
there's still a lot of software that just doesn't use "install" when
you do "make install".

I'd like something that keeps a database of the
files/links/subdirectories in specified directories and after you
install something it creates a package file with anything new it
finds, updates the base database and then allows you to uninstall
it. I could've sworn I read somewhere that someone had written a
utility like this but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Gary