Re: Strange 'find' result

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 05:31:22PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Mitch Blevins wrote:
>
> > In foo.debian-user, you wrote:
> > > Can somebody explain this to me?
> > >
> > > $ find /cdrom -iname wx*
> > > $ find /cdrom -iname wxx*
> > > /cdrom/debian/hamm/hamm/binary-i386/libs/wxxt1_1.66d-2.deb
> > >
> > > Why does the first 'find' query give no results?
> >
> > Are you quoting the argument to avoid shell expansion?
> >
> > $ find /cdrom -iname 'wx*'
>
> No.  I just did it as it was printed above.
>
> Today is another day.  I did the same thing and here is the result:
> (I was in my home directory as I was yesterday)
>
> jhspies@Johann(8)$ find /cdrom -iname wx*
> find: paths must precede expression
> Usage: find [path...] [expression]
> jhspies@Johann(9)$ cd /
> jhspies@Johann(10)$ find /cdrom -iname wx*
> /cdrom/debian/hamm/hamm/binary-i386/doc/wxhelp_1.66d-2.deb
> /cdrom/debian/hamm/hamm/binary-i386/libs/wxxt1_1.66d-2.deb
>
> Anyhow, it is not a problem for me.  I was just curious on why the strange
> result.  Now I am wondering why I did not get the same result today?

Eh, note that find does special optimization which does not work on CD
ROM's. It assumes that two directories are "." and "..". From the info page:

 - Option: -noleaf
     Do not optimize by assuming that directories contain 2 fewer
     subdirectories than their hard link count.  This option is needed
     when searching filesystems that do not follow the Unix
     directory-link convention, such as CD-ROM or MS-DOS filesystems or
     AFS volume mount points.  Each directory on a normal Unix
     filesystem has at least 2 hard links: its name and its `.'  entry.
     Additionally, its subdirectories (if any) each have a `..'  entry
     linked to that directory.  When `find' is examining a directory,
     after it has statted 2 fewer subdirectories than the directory's
     link count, it knows that the rest of the entries in the directory
     are non-directories ("leaf" files in the directory tree).  If only
     the files' names need to be examined, there is no need to stat
     them; this gives a significant increase in search speed.