X won't load

I get the following messages when doing startx:
--

X: exec of   failed
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2) : unable to connect to X server
xinit; No such process (errno 3): Server error.

--
I have killed gpm and I have checked to see that all of the following are installed:

makedev         1.6-32
ncurses-base    1.9.9g-8.8
ncurses-bin     1.9.9g-8.8
ncurses-term    1.9.9g-8.8
ncurses3.4      1.9.9g-8.8
ncurses3.4-dev  1.9.9g-8.8
xbase           3.3.2.2-4
xcolors         1.5-4.1
xcolorsel       1.1a-7
xcontrib        3.3.1-2
xlib6           3.3.2.2-4
xlib6g          3.3.2.2-4
xlib6g-dev      3.3.2.2-4
xfntbase        3.3.2.2-4
xfnt75          3.3.2.2-4
xfntpex         3.3.2.2-4
xfntscl         3.3.2.2-4
xpm-bin         3.4j-0.6
xpm-4g          3.4j-0.6
xpm-4g-dev      3.4j-0.6
xserver-vga16   3.3.2.2-4
xserver-S3      3.3.2.2-4       This is the X server for my computer.
xserver-svga    3.3.2.2-4
zlib1g          1.1.1-0.1
olvwm           4.1.3.2p1.4
olvm            3.2p1.4-4

I have configured XF86Config with all the necessary parameters. The first line in /etc/X11/Xserver file is the complete path to the XServer (/usr/bin/X11/XF86_S3). I have also tried /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA. SuperProbe identifies the video card as S3 Trio64. The monitor is a Sony 100sx and I have entered the correct parameters for it.

I'm at my wit's end and would appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance.
David Bach
Alternative Training
(206) 662-0265
Building 7-251, Cube: 11J2-1

"Ignorance is becoming a matter of personal choice." -- Arun-Kumar Tripathi