Re: where is "rc.local"

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Pollywog wrote:

> I just jumped over to Debian from another distro.  I am trying to find my way
> around, but I cannot find "rc.local", the Debian version of it.

There is no rc.local.  All the "rc"-type files are in /etc/init.d and are
invoked by symlinks in /etc/rcx.d.

What I do is create a file "local" in /etc/init.d to put all my local
customization and then create the links by running update-rc.d (man
update-rc.d for the syntax here).  See /etc/init.d/skeleton for a sample
file to use.

> Also, I have a newer Exim package to install, but I cannot figure out how to
> get dselect to install from /usr/src

You could create a debian package and then install it.  If it isn't worth
the bother to do so, put it in /usr/local/src, compile and install.  It
won't be visible to dpkg/dselect, but these never touch anything in
/usr/local, so you will be safe.  If it's already a Debian package, just
use 'dpkg -i <packagename>'.

Bob

----