Re: Dselect CD-ROM help

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Terence E. Kane wrote:

> Gang:
>
> I have started to install Linux using dselect and the cd-rom method.  On
> the menu when I select [A]cess and select cd-rom it puts me in a screen
> that asks for a block device name
> What is this?  I haven't found anything in any of the instructions that
> tells me what to do with this. I can't move any further. I would
> appreciate your help
>
> Terry

A CDROM reads stuff in blocks, as opposed to characters, like a keyboard.
It just wants to know the "name" of the block-device humans call a CD
drive.

If it's an IDE drive, it's probably /dev/hdc, which means the first drive
on the second IDE port. /dev/hda = 1st drive on 1st ide, /dev/hdb = 2nd on
1st, /dev/hdc = 1st on 2nd, and /dev/hdd = 2nd on 2nd.

Enter /dev/hdc and see what happens.

 --
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu