XF86 Setup

I upgraded my video card from an S3Virge to a Matrox Millenium with
8meg.  After running SF86Setup and vidtune I couldn't get a full width
display.  After some head scratching I copied the mode line from my
old config file to the new one and was back in business.  I guess the
setup program attempts to use the highest dot clock for the card
possible without exceeding the monitor's sync frequencies. (the mga
tried to run at 135 mhz, I backed it down to 85).  But some monitors
cannot get full width at the highest sync so you must back off on the
dot clock.  Might be nice to have vidtune be able to tweek the dot
clock freq as well.  I'm not sure how to do it manually.  My old
card's mode lines work fine on the new one, so I solved my problem
that way.  Has anyone else run into this?

==
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....