Re: Sound configuration not in initial install

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 09:09:32AM -0600, David Webster wrote:
> > During the drivers installation phase there is no facility for
> > installing sound card info.  I find this quite odd since sound is as
> > ubiquitous in computing today as ethernet and TCP/IP.  The failure to
>
> Not on Unix, IMHO. But anyway ...

Huh? Just about every commercial Unix has audio support by default. When
was the last time you installed Solaris? I get great delight from sending
weird sounds to people's Sun workstations from time to time.  The
"flatulnt newbie" is my favorite trick. Works great in cube-farms.

> On Linux 2.0, you have to recompile the kernel to tell the sound driver
> about your hardware (right down to IO address, DMA and IRQ). There are
> patches around to fix this but none are in the vanilla 2.0.36 kernel.
> Linux 2.2, on the other hand, does have this.

That is why I just spring for the $20 and get the OSS sound drivers.