Re: Sound configuration not in initial install

MallarJ@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/13/99 12:09:41 PM Central Standard Time, martin@internet-
> treff.uni-koeln.de writes:
>
> > Because sound in 2.0 kernels is not modular enough. IO, IRQ etc. have
> >  to be hardcoded into the kernel. Some option must not be set for some
> >  soundcard, whereas others have to be etc.
> >

> Is there some reason these can't be set up in a config file so that it CAN be
> included in the initial installation?  Seems to me hardcoding these values is
> against Debian's policy of allowing us to configure everything but the kitchen
> sink.

	Well this might be the reason the config of sound is no longer
being done in the kernel as of 2.2.1.  You still must select the
right sound driver in the kernel and build it as a module.  The
IRQ/DMA configuration can now be done via text files in
/etc/modutils, so getting sound setup in an initial install may
now be possible.

--
Ed C.