Re: dselect, dpkg, apt, gnome-apt???

MacKenzie, Andrew:
> My only real problem is the methods of keeping current.  I install
> packages using dpkg -i <packagename>.
> Is this the right way to do things in Debian?  I gave up on dselect
> because of the huge number of packages you must look at.

You can mix and match dselect and dpkg.

So you can use dpkg when you know what you want, and use dselect when you
want to find out what's updated.

dselect should give you the same list as on the ftp site, but in addition
it's sorted by whether the package is "Up-to-date", "Updated", "Available"
or "Obsolete/Local" (which means `none of the above').

HTH

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently