Can't Mount a Zip Drive

I can't mount my zip drive.  It is a scsi zip drive and I think my isa-to-scsi host adapter is working. During boot I get these lines (among others ofcourse):

"scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total."

Does this mean my host adapter is working?
I remember reading somewhere that a scsi zip should be ready to mount on a default install of debian.  But when I use something like this:

"mount -t vfat /dev/sda5 /zip"

or any other sda* listed in /dev I get an error message saying that:

"the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda* as a block device
(maybe 'insmod driver'?)"

How do I mount my zip drive?
-alex