Re: XF86SETUP Help needed...

Jeremy wrote:

> I'm new to Linux and am having trouble getting the x windows going on my
> machine. I have downloaded everything needed for the install base I selected
> at installation time(or at least I think I've got everything), but when
> XF86Setup runs and exits, it attempts to start the xserver and gives me the
> following error:
>
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnetc: Can't connect: errno = 111
>
> It gives me this several times before aborting. Also, the XF86Config settings
> that I entered in XF86Setup are not saved in the config file, is this
> something that I will have to edit myself.
>
> Again, I'm new to Linux but extremely interested in learning to use it. Any
> advise would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jeremy Savoy

And

At 01:28 PM 2/12/1999 -0600, Larry Shields WD9ESU wrote:

>I know that this question has been asked before, but since I am a new user
>of Debian, I need some help on setting yp XF86...
>
>Now I started the XF86Setup prg., and went thru each one of the menus, from
>the mouse, keyboard, which I chose 102, instead of the 101 type, then to my
>Video card, which is an OAK, and in the list it had OAK Generic, and used
>that, the card is a OTI-067/077 model...Then onto the monitor which as a
>Horizontal freq., of 30-60khz, the vertical is 50-90hz, and what little info
>thats in the manual that the Max resolution is 1024X768...
>
>I have tried different settings 640X480 mode using 8bpp, even 16bpp and
>1024x768 settings with SVGA to just plain VGA-16, I've gone thru all and
>when I click the done, it then, takes the info that I have provided and
>restarts it backup...
>
>Then when I save the configuration, I then am returned to root, from there I
>tried many times to startx, and I get this:
>
>xinit: Connection refused (error 111) unable to connect to X server
>xinit: No such process (error 3): Server error...
>
>Is there anyone that maybe able to explain to me what I need to do to get it
>up and running correctly, I would appreicate in hearing from anyone
>concerning this issue...Since I have tried all of the different settings, I
>am at a loss as to what is needed to fix my problem...
>
>Thanks,
>
>Larry Shields WD9ESU
>AX25: WD9ESU @ WD9ESU.#SCWI.WI.USA.NOAM [IPGWWI]
>AMPRnet: wd9esu.ampr.org   IPaddr: 44.92.0.60
>ICQ# 6221703
>JNOS 1.11C -- TCPIP/TELNET/FTP
>==============================

Jeremy, you didn't really give us enough info to go on. Let us know about the
lines above the one you quoted. XF86Setup should save the settings you chose in
/etc/X11/XF86Config. If it didn't, there's something weird going on. Try
running XF86Setup again, and tell it not to use your existing XF86Config file
for defaults. If that doesn't work, try running the text-mode setup utility,
xf86config.

Jeremy & Larry: Look in the /etc/X11/XServer file (or is it Xserver?). The
first line should refer to the server you want to run. It'll have a reference
to something like XF86_SVGA or XF86_MACH64 etc. Change it as needed.

HTH.

Kent