Re: Net problem with an AMD PCnet PCI card (newbie question)

In article <7974ca$63j$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com> gregburris@home.com wrote:

>I have tried adding the /etc/modules file, also tried rebuilding the kernel
>with tulip and de4x5 linked (not as loadable modules).	On boot, I get the
>following message:
>
>/dev/tulip.o:  init_module:  Device or resource busy
>
>My /etc/conf.modules file:
>
>alias eth0 tulip
>options tulip io=0x200 irq=10
>
>Also, if I run tulip_diag with the -p 0x200 flag, it reports a tulip chip at
>that address.

Umm... For the AMD PCnet card, use the "pcnet32" driver. Even though
they're commonly used in Tulip computers, it's not what's called a tulip
card; those are manufactured by Digital (or should I say Compaq).

Also, you should NEVER have to specify irq / io / whatever for PCI
cards. That in itself is an indication that you're using the wrong
driver.

Of course, if there is another AMD PCnet card that is NOT the PCnet32
card, my apologies.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org