Removeing N lines from a file

How can I use gawk or some other program to remove a number of lines
from a text file.  Initially, I only need to delete the top 10 lines
from a file but it might be useful to know how to delete lines from any
part of the file.  The top 10 lines from each of these files vary in
what they may contain so I need to indiscriminately delete them.  I
figured gawk is what I would need to use to perform this task but if
someone ones of something else that might do this that would be fine
too.

Thanks

Lance