Re: 2.2.1 and /dev/sound

	Subject: 2.2.1 and /dev/sound
	Date: Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 10:36:10AM -0600

Quoting Richard E. Hawkins Esq.(hawk@eyry.econ.iastate.edu):

> I've finally convinced 2.2.1 to run X and my network.  I still haven't
> figured out why kerneld doesn't start anymore and do this automatically.

 did you enable this
#
## Loadable module support
#
#CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y            <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
And read the Documentation/kmod.txt

Kmod: The Kernel Module Loader
Kirk Petersen

Kmod is a simple replacement for kerneld.  It consists of a
request_module() replacement and a kernel thread called kmod.  When
the
kernel requests a module, the kmod wakes up and execve()s modprobe,
passing it the name that was requested.

If you have the /proc filesystem mounted, you can set the path of
modprobe (where the kernel looks for it) by doing:

        echo "/sbin/modprobe" > /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe

To periodically unload unused modules, put something like the
following
in root's crontab entry:

        0-59/5 * * * * /sbin/rmmod -a

> But the sound doesn't work now.  the basic

When I did the above, it did work!

HTH

--
One good reason why computers can do more work than people is that they
never have to stop and answer the phone.