Re: HP DeskJets

*- On 10 Feb, Alan Eugene Davis wrote about "Re: HP DeskJets"
> On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 07:16:05PM -0500, servis@purdue.edu wrote:
>>
>> I would also look at installing the gs-aladdin package from the non-free
>> part of Debian.  It has a special HP Deskjet driver compiled into it.
>> You can specify lots of features such as print quality, color mode,
>> paper type, etc.  See the gs-hpdj man page once it is installed.  You
>> then will have to modify your print filter(use magicfilter as others
>> have suggested) to specify the options you want.
>
> Which non-free?
>
> I know there is a gs-aladdin in /debian/project/experimental that does have
> the hp850 driver compiled in.  I used magicfilter, but had to kludge: took a
> second copy of the dj550c filter and rewrote the Postscript lines with the
> parameters mentioned in the readme about that driver in the mentioned
> gs-aladdin package.   The results with this filter have been far better in
> the past than just the dj550c filter.  Contact me for a filter.  I wrote
> separate filters (hence defined separate printers were defined) for various
> parameters---such as papertype.  I haven't gotten to the end of it, and I
> certainly don't understand it all, but it works ok.

Ahh, I didn't know there was one in project/experimental with the 850
driver in it.  Yes, you will have to create different 'printers' for
different options.  I haven't looked at lprng but it would be nice if
this didn't have to be done, ie. options could be specified on the lpr
command line.

--
Brian
							   - unknown