RE: DSelect and ftp

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van:	Helge Hafting [SMTP:helge.hafting@c2i.net]
Verzonden:	dinsdag 9 februari 1999 19:55
Aan:	debian-user@lists.debian.org
Onderwerp:	Re: DSelect and ftp

You wrote:
> Robert-Jan Kuijvenhoven:
> > ppp.log:
> > send (ATZ^M)
> > expect (OK)
> > ^M
> > NO CARRIER
> > -- Failed
> > Failed (NO CARRIER)
> > Connect script failed
> > exit.
>
> That sounds as if ppp (or chat) is sending `ATZ' to the modem, expecting to
> get back `OK' but getting `NO CARRIER' instead. Is that right?
>
> That'd definitely be a problem, but I'm not sure how it'd come about; why
> would a modem respond to `ATZ' with `NO CARRIER'?

Simple enough - the modem wasn't in command mode, it was at the end of the previous
dial (that failed) but somehow the modem wasn't put back in command mode when ppp
or whatever gave up.  (It is a good idea setting the modem up to automatically
hang up and go to command mode when DTR drops.  That should avoid this problem.)

So dialer sends ATZ to a modem that is dialling already.  This normally makes
the modem give up the dialling asap, and return NO CARRIER.  Trying
ATZ again will usually work.

Helge Hafting

John Hasler wrote:
ATZ means "soft reset and restore stored profile 0".  Perhaps profile 0 is whacky.  Try AT&F0 to restore factory profile 0.

John Hasler

I am sorry, but I am a linux newbie and I don't know how to setup the modem to hang up and go to command mode when DTR drops and I don't know how to try AT&F0. Would you be so kind as to explain some modem-basics for linux to me, please.

Thanks,

Robert-Jan Kuijvenhoven